Friday, September 09, 2005

Attendance II

All of our posts regarding attendance got us to thinking about this subject in more detail, so we decided to sort the numbers by day of the week. Here is the average attendance by day through yesterday's game:









Day of WeekAverage Attendance
Monday31,702
Tuesday33,058
Wednesday33,774
Thursday34,016
Friday34,524
Saturday38,644
Sunday36,765

A couple of things jumped out at us. First, attendance builds with each successive week night. The fluctuation is material if we include Monday, with almost 3,000 more fans attending Friday's games than Monday's games. However, if we exclude Monday's games the attendance is pretty much the same on weeknight games, with only about 1,000 more fans attending Friday's games than Tuesday's games.

Second, Saturday's games have the highest attendance. We expected Sunday's games to bring out the most fans, but perhaps we're stupid.

Third, far fewer than the average number of fans attended this week's games against Florida. Almost 6,500 fewer fans attended last night's game than attended the average Thursday game. As I write this a woman with whom I work is telling me that I'm stupid for not realizing that many fans would stay away from this week's games because it's the first week back at school. When I pointed out that more fans attended the games in April and May when school was still in session she looked at me like I was an idiot and said that there was more enthusiasm for the team then because it was a novelty. When I said that there should have been a lot of excitement this week because of the pennant race, she rolled her eyes and walked out.

I can't win.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The woman with whom you work is a genius.